Movie Theatre Forum

For people who enjoy the theatres in their communities.

Movies That Were Great But Not Many People Have Seen

Brenkert 60

Movies That Were Great But Not Many People Have Seen

Post  Brenkert 60 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:09 pm

There are two films that come to mind right now. One was "Red Sky At Morning", a Universal picture from 1971, and "Baby Blue Maine, a Columbia picture from 1976.

"Red Sky" came out around the same time "Summer Of '42" hit the screens. I actually liked Red Sky better. It starred Richard Thomas, Richard Crenna, Desi Arnaz, Jr, Claire Bloom, and had a very memorable scene starring my very favorite character Actor, Strother Martin. After the HUGE success of "Summer of '42, Universal re-released this as "That Same Summer". It fizzled worse! This film never made it to video, but I have a poor copy from a run on HBO, and it's just as enjoyable today as when I first saw it.

"Baby Blue Marine" starred Jan Michael Vincent (what a wastoid), Glynnis O'Connor, Katherine Helmond, And great character actor Bert Remsen. It also took place during World War II. A very nice movie that never went to video. I do have a poor copy recorded from HBO. This film hit all emotions. It's an all time favorite of mine.

Are there any "obscure" films you are fond of?
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Movies That Were Great But Not Many People Have Seen

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:27 pm

One of my obscure films is "Made in Heaven"
    This is from Video Hound, 2 1/2 bones, 1987
    Two souls in Heaven fall in love and must find each other after being reborn on Earth if they are to remain eternal lovers. Contains etheral interpretations of heaven and several cameo appearances by famous actors and musicians.

Stars Timothy Hutton, Kelly McGillis, Maureen Stapleton, Mare Winningham, Ann Wedgeworth, Don Murray, Amanda Plummer.

Cameos: Ellen Barkin, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Ric Ocasek, Tom Robbins, Debra Winger, Gary Larson, David Rasche. Directed by Alan Rudolph.

I have enjoyed this film for years and I now have my second copy, a dvd.

It probably didn't too well at the box office, but my taste often run counter to popularity.

MPol

Obscure films:

Post  MPol on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:59 pm

I've heard of Summer of '42, although I've never, ever seen it. Some relatively obscure films that I've seen and enjoyed are as follows:

Cat Ballou

The Monster that Challenged the World

Shot in the Dark

Pink panther (the fist one)

Arsenic and Old Lace

Murder She Said

All these movies were cool, and they're older films, but, hey...I'm glad I saw them and remember them, especially the film Cat Ballou and The Monster that Challenged the World.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:45 pm

If you ever see "Summer of '42" an interesting scene is 15 minutes without dialogue, but extrememly moving. I really liked that movie.
    Brenkert 60

Post  Brenkert 60 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:52 am

Back in 1969, there was a prolific film company called Cinema Center Films, which in conjunction with National General Productions released some excellent films. Most did well at the boxoffice, but few ever made it to video, or even ran on TV. One was called "Me, Natalie" and it starred Patty Duke in the title role, and featured Martin Balsam, and James Farentino. I was able to procure a copy of this movie recently, and now realize just how dated it was. I did enjoy seeing it again, however, but it was much better 40 years ago!
    Brenkert 60

Finian's Rainbow

Post  Brenkert 60 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:26 am

One of my all time favorite musicals was "Finian's Rainbow" It starred Fred Astaire, Petula Clark, Keenan Wynn, and Tommy Steele, in addition to San Antonio's own Al Freeman, Jr.

This was the Christmas 1968 offering at the theatre I was working at the time, and it never did the business it deserved. The music was great, the photography excellent, Tommy Steele was wonderful as Og, the Leprechaun, and it was directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

I watch this film at least twice a year. My favorite song is "When I'm Not Near The Girl I Love, I Love The Girl I'm Near". Tommy Steele performs it flawlessly.

Fred Astaire was getting up in age, but he could still dance very well.

MPol

Obscure films:

Post  MPol on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 pm

What about films such as Cat Ballou and The Monster that Challenged the World? Those are films that were wonderful and that I was fond of when I saw them, as a young kid.
    Brenkert 60

Post  Brenkert 60 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:37 am

Cat Ballou was a pretty big hit! I liked it very much. Lee Marvin was great, as was his horse! I liked the music done by Nat King Cole, and Stubby Kaye between the acts.

I never saw "The Monster That Challenged The World"

Thee was a VERY low budget film made in 1963 titled "The Sadist". I saw it first on TV a few years after it's theatrical release, then in 1973, I ran it with a new title "Sweet Baby Charlie". I now own it on DVD. It's so bad, it's good!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:28 am